Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Grapevine Bonsai

I-er don't have on per say. What I do have is a ill kept grapevine in a pot. It is very scraggly if you peek at it past the leafs that it put out this summer.

See, in the beginning I did surf around looking at what few I could find on the internet. At around $65 a pop I decided that I would try and cultivate my own. Silly me believed that it wouldn't be all that hard.

My first problem was locating a Grapevine that I could dig up. Second to that was finding the roots to dig up. Ad to that one that was legal to did up because I did not want to spend money on permits and the such. Fortunately my boss suggested digging up ones that were growing in our court yard that was being dug up. I ended up getting several plants from there. A mulberry, several mystery plants and one itty bitty twig of a grapevine with a smattering of roots. Since it had roots growing in two sections I had to stick it into a deep pot, which isn't much use for a bonsai's shallow pot.

So my next brilliant idea was to root cuttings.

Out of about a dozen different cuttings only one survived. A few died right off the back. The one that lived didn't have a visible root for around 3 months. That lone root is now growing feeder roots like it was going out of style. As soon as there are enough roots I'm sticking it into a pot. Right now the roots are at the base of the cutting and would be very shallow. Sadly it's a very twiggy looking cutting.

As of right now I am on the side of Grapevines not making very cheep nor very good bonsai. Maybe in a few years I'll look back and change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment